Sunday, November 9, 2008

When No One is Watching

I believe that integrity,  responsibility and respect are best shown in a person's character when they believe no one is watching. Recently, a class of college students and I were talking about the harsh realities of working retail and service sector jobs. A student told the class that she hated customers who always wanted something for free. She gave an example of a man at a fast food restaurant saying, "And that's buy one-get one, right?" Instead of saying, "I'm sorry, sir, but we do not have that special here." She said, "Yes, sir. You'll get one free." Then we went around the corner out of his sight, spit inside the bun of a sandwich and gave both to the man with a smile. 

Now, several things flashed across my mind in this situation. First, I can't believe she would do such a disgusting act. Secondly, she lied to a customer to get some kind of revenge, when he was asking a question she could have given an honest answer to. Third, she admitted to this atrocious act in front of all her peers and a teacher who is in a position to recommend her (or not) for future employment, and she showed absolutely no remorse. 

What do you do when asked to do something that is not policy? Do you cave in to make a customer happy? Do you lie to the customer and do what could get you fired? Do you take revenge on someone for an innocent question? Do you celebrate your indiscretions and wonder why blessings don't come back on you?

As an educator I'm often told by students I've got an attitude or I'm "cold" because I will not bend on deadlines or policies. I have worked far too long and too hard to build up integrity with those I value. If I were to break a policy to appease a student or customer when I know that doing so will put my company/school in a bad light, make my supervisor question my integrity or make me appear as a pushover when push comes to shove, I am the one who will pay the highest price for my choice. 

Here's an example. A student gets ill during an exam and must leave class. Later on, that student comes to me and wants to finish his exam. Do I give him the same exam knowing he's had several days to look up answers to the one he's seen before, knowing no other student got that opportunity? No other student would see if he did the same exam. It would be my word against his, right? It is worth far more to me to say, "I'm sorry, but I cannot let you retake the same exam. You can, however, take a different version of the exam at a later date." Then set a date with the student to come in outside of class hours to make it up. The student may tell me I'm unfair, that my attitude stinks because I'm implying he cheated, and so forth, but in the end, doing the right thing is worth the momentary wrath of someone who has put me in a position to make a call of integrity, responsibility and respect. 

No comments: