Thursday, August 28, 2008

Career Advice -- Where to look, who to trust?

There are millions of books, websites, and people who are willing to offer advice in business, success and life in general. So, who do you trust? Whose advice do you use and whose do you ignore, or run from?

I believe most of us accept advice that speaks to our spirit, personal nature, and goals. Sure, I can listen to Michael Jordan give a motivational speech, but when I was looking to be the best teacher I could be in the public school system, I went to people like Harry Wong. Mike was the go-to guy for the court, not the classroom.

Know When to Run
Also, make sure the group you join has the same goals. When I began as a performance storyteller I went to a guild meeting. I first noticed I was the only one in the group without gray hair, reading glasses or both. When they asked for my contact information and I handed them a business card. The president held up the card and said, "Oooh! This one has a card. Look at that!" My gut flipped and I immediately knew these were not the folks to help me grow my career. I never went back.

Some sites, resources and springboards that might appeal to you if you're just entering the workforce:

1. Your college resource and career center. I like, The Black Collegian Online, particularly this article: http://www.black-collegian.com/career/navigating-grad05.shtml

2. Free sites on the web (with the understanding that sometimes, you get what you pay for.)
Job Dig, who has the catchiest tag line, "Because everyone should dig their job" http://www.jobdig.com/articles/996/Making_the_First_Days_at_Your_New_Job_Easier!.html

3. All major career resume sites such as CareerBuilder, Monster, HotJobs, and so forth. Look for their free resources that offer advice. These guys have a business out of getting people hired, and helping businesses grow, and the more successful you are, the better they grow.

4. Professional associations, and national organizations in your field. Like-minded folks often have insider tips that other resources might not know to offer.

5. Professional organizations related to your personal life - gender, race, creed, fraternal organizations, Greek life, honor societies, craft and hobbies, all have networking groups. Just be sure not to use your day job as a way to recruit others for your personal/pet projects or you may not have that job very long.

Be aware and informed! Your success or failure is all up to you.

No comments: