Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Beware of the Evil English Teacher?

In my freshman and junior year of high school, I was blessed with the same English teacher, Mrs. Starke, the most feared woman in all of Miramonte High School . Not known for my reading and writing skills, I cringed at the idea of her freshman course and even went so far as to try to switch teachers. When that failed, I knew I was in for the long-haul. Through fear and public humiliation, Mrs. Starke taught me the art of writing, including the names for every word in a sentence, and strategies for public speaking. A few students failed her class, an extremely uncommon occurrence at my high school, but the majority carried on to become stronger writers and speakers. Today, I can’t write a sentence without thinking -- “appositive…followed by a subject…then a verb…and concluding with an adverb clause.” After two years of Mrs. Starke, she made me into a “grammar fanatic,” and even to my surprise, I find enjoyment in dissecting and reconstructing sentences in new ways. I am endlessly thankful to Mrs. Starke, who I never dared thank in high school, probably due to fear. Today, I attribute much of my success in business to her teachings. In May 2007, I started a public relations company, Elm Publicity Inc., and employ the lessons of Mrs. Starke every day!

Beth M. Cleveland Principal Elm Publicity Inc.
415.283.7333 Elizabeth@elmpublicity.com

No comments: